My David’s Bridal Experience

by jaime on June 3, 2012

I’ll admit, I was a bit hesitant to hit up David’s Bridal while I was in Ann Arbor. I know they have a lot of dress options, but I wasn’t sure if there would really be anything that I truly loved.

I can happily say though that I was totally and utterly wrong. Here are some of the points of my trip that made me take notice – and a couple of pictures of my favorite dresses.

– They had better dresses than I expected. Between the Oleg Cassini collection and the Vera Wang line, there were “high end” brands available. And with that, the price ranges were varied – while everything was “on sale” (like everything sh0uld be at a bridal salon), the dresses ranged from the infamous $99 to over $1,400. So they really did have a little something for everyone.

– I didn’t feel like I was being pushed or pulled in any specific directions – people were helpful, kind and knowledgeable. In fact, the consultant who was assisting me was charming, funny and had great advice (especially when it came to keeping heat in mind – we’re getting married in June, after all!) which made the trip both informative and enjoyable.

– Sizing was like all other bridal salons, averaging around a size 8-10 for all dresses. I don’t know what I expected here, really. But it was a nice highlight!

And of my favorite dresses?

First and foremost was the Oleg Cassini dress – One Shoulder Tulle Ball Gown with Lace Appliques Style CKP421

The other two were liked, but not loved – certainly not as much as the first!

Dress #2: Allover beaded lace trumpet gown Style T9612

Dress #3: Cap Sleeve Beaded Lace Mermaid Gown Style 123325

And, as it turns out, that first dress? It’s the most popular wedding dress in Chicago. Who would have thought?

Did you buy your dress at David’s Bridal, or are you thinking of shopping there? Share your experiences in the comments!

{ 14 comments }

becky June 4, 2012 at 7:16 am

By far David’s Bridal had the best customer service that I found. I ended up finding my dress there. I went through probably 10 dresses I had picked and wasn’t 100%. the store manager ended up pulling a Vera Wang and I fell in love. My family gasped we cried it was wonderful. I the dress fit perfect so no alterations are needed. I couldn’t be happier.

jaime June 4, 2012 at 2:18 pm

That’s such a great story, Becky! Thank you so much for sharing – I’m so glad you found your dress!

Holly Pischke June 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I loved everything about David’s Bridal. And you’re dress #2 was actually my wedding dress. I fell in love with the back of the dress before I saw the front. The only difference is we made a black ribbon with beading to go around it instead of the white one, that way it matched our color theme.

jaime June 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm

That’s so cool that you chose the same dress! I liked it – I’d love to see the picture of you in it!

Holly Pischke June 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Here I have a picture up on my Pinterest

Jessica June 6, 2012 at 8:27 am

Your #3 dress is the dress I wore when I got married. :) I bought it in white, though. My David’s experience was kinda “meh.” My consultant wasn’t the most attentive, and when I went back to pick up my dress, they all but ignored me when I told them I was having my alterations done elsewhere. BUT… I only had a six-month engagement, so I had to pick a dress quickly, and it came in well before I needed it.
I’d seen the dress in a magazine and knew it was what I was looking for (I was anti-strapless dress, so my options in my budget were rather limited). So I went in and tried it and a few others on and ordered it the same day. It was absolutely perfect for our morning, outdoor wedding. :)

Chrissy June 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm

4 other girls already gave the right anwser so I just want to say that’s tough you have to buy your own dress because in a perfect world it’s bought for you because you’re the apple of someone’s eye, but I know what it’s like to have to take care of yourself. you don’t want pity and you are proud to take care of yourself(I know I’m that way!!) but still I just want to say that’s tough but good for you hon! Congratulations – Davids is really the best

Angela June 15, 2012 at 7:19 am

My David’s Bridal experience was iffy. I called ahead and made an appointment a week in advance, and then when me and my maid of honour showed up, whoever took the appointment forgot to write it down and I was very rudely told to leave the store because they don’t have time for anyone. Oddly enough, there was only one other bride in the store and 5 consultants standing around gossiping…

My maid of honour is great though. She asked to speak with a manager and within 20 minutes I had the first dress I was trying on.

I did end up buying one through them, the 4th dress I tried on I fell in love with.

When I went back for my first fitting, the seamstress I was talking to didn’t understand a word I was saying. I knew the dress needed to be tighter, and she “finished” pinning it, but it was still falling off me – to the point that it would have been Girls Gone Wild in the middle of the ceremony, and when I pointed that out, she said “no. I know to take it in more than I pin” — and she wasn’t going to measure me or anything. So I kindly told her, ‘no thank you’ and found an independent seamstress.

All in all, I love my dress, but was really put off by how crappy I was treated while there. I’m going to base it on the fact that I’m 5’1″ and look to be about 16 even though I’m 24.

jaime July 30, 2012 at 7:26 am

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Angela – I’m sorry that it didn’t work out perfectly, but I’m so glad that you got the perfect dress!

Kimberly October 26, 2012 at 3:32 pm

The Oleg Cassini Dress is the dress I chose. I am getting married in September of next year and was told it may take a while to find a dress so I started early on the dress hunt. I actually went to David’s Bridal twice. The first time I went was very frustrating and disappointing but not due to David’s at all… let’s just say I learned the less amount of people I bring the better lol. My consultant was actually amazing! Needless to say I walked out without a dress. The second time I had a list of the dresses they carry that I was interested in and had my heart set on one in particular. I wasnt able to try it on due to sizing but the consultant pulled a dress that I did not want to try n fought it but she insisted I try it. Boy am I glad I did! I ended up buying it and about a month later my dress has already shipped to the store and today I will be picking it up. To those of you still looking for that dress… be opened to new things and dont rule anything out! TRY EVERYTHING! Most of all have a blast.

Bri January 3, 2013 at 1:00 am

DB was the first real bridal salon website that I started checking out (even though I checked out many other inspiration pieces). Well, I absolutely fell in love with one of the dresses online, but had this feeling it would totally not work on my figure or something would go wrong when I tried it on – nope! It was perfect! I loved my DB experience, but the layout of my particular store was a bit weird. I walked out and basically put on a show for the entire store. Random people even commented on the dresses I was wearing! Other DB salon’s I’ve been in however have been different – so I guess it was just that one! So far I am loving checking out your blog! Can’t wait to keep on reading!

jaime January 3, 2013 at 9:01 am

Thanks for the kind words, Bri! Definitely be sure to like the page on Facebook – you can keep up with everything over there!

kate January 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Thanks for posting this! I’m currently considering the third dress (which is actually the All Over Beaded Lace Trumpet Gown Style 9T9612)

I didn’t expect to really like (love!) the fifth dress I tried on, let alone that that dress would be at David’s Bridal. Now I need to decide if I want to try on more in a couple of weeks or just go for it!

I’m a Michigan girl too! Or are you in Denver? that’s confusing.

Have you been reading A Practical Wedding too? I love it! In another post you mentioned that no one asks about the marriage. Isn’t that odd!

Nicole August 17, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I just put a deposit on the 3rd dress. The t9612. My husband and I are renewing our wedding vows next July. If was the 4th or 5 th dress I tried on it was nothing like what I was looking for but as soon as I put it on I fell in love. It is so figure flattering. I am a plus size and this dress makes me look so much smaller then I am!

Comments on this entry are closed.