Reader Recommended! Songs for Your First Dance

by jaime on June 4, 2012

We’ve had SO many people adding their songs to our list of first dance music. So many that I wanted to share… so, why not? Here are some of the great choices that people shared – comment and tell us your song!

Jenny’s song: “Home to You” by Josh Kelley (Jenny, if you’re reading this – great, GREAT song!)

“‘Cause it’s you that I’m running to baby
It’s you that I’m feeling for lately and
It’s like a pain that never goes away
And it always starts today”

Erica’s song: “Say Hey (I Love You)” by Michael Franti & Spearhead (I loved your story, Erica!)

“Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see, the less I know
But I know one thing, that I love you
I love you, I love you, I love you”

Jessica’s song: “One and Only” by Adele – so romantic and a great ballad for a first dance!

“I dare you to let me be your, your one and only,
I promise I’m worthy,
To hold in your arms,
So come on and give me the chance,
To prove I am the one who can walk that mile,
Until the end starts.”

“Mom” said that her daughter’s having Kenny Chesney’s “Me and You” sung at her wedding!

“Every day I live
I try my best to give
All I have to you
I thank the stars above
That we share this love
Me and you.”

Bringing back an artist from the original post (yay!), Madison said that she wants to walk down the aisle to “I Like to Be with Me when I’m with You” by Drew Holcomb.

“With you I can be myself
With you I don’t have to be somebody else
It’s like puttin on my favorite pair of shoes
I’d like to be with me, when I’m with you.”

Tia’s parents got married to “Forever and Ever Amen” by Randy Travis, and she wants to dance to that song, too. Great choice, Tia – I think my sister might be choosing this one too!

“But you’re not just time that I’m killin’
I’m no longer one of those guys
As sure as I live, this love that I give
Is gonna be yours until the day that I die.”

Megan picked a fun, romantic song – Big Bad Voodoo Daddy’s “Still in Love With You”

“So, when it rains,
I’ll shield your head
And when you cry,
I’ll wipe those tears
Because it’s you, through all these years
And I’m still in love with you.”

And when Deb got married, she and her husband danced to “I Love the Way You Love Me” by John Michael Montgomery – a classic!

“I like the feel of your name on my lips
And I like the sound of your sweet gentle kiss
The way that your fingers run through my hair
And how your scent lingers even when your not there.”

Thanks to each and every one of you who shared your songs – I loved all of your choices!

Jenny June 4, 2012 at 7:28 pm

That’s the right one! Gives me chills every single time.

jaime June 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Success! I loved that – it’s a unique choice and it’s so darn romantic.

nikki June 5, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I love first day of my life by bright eyes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFS69nA-1w

aimee June 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

OMG, I’m obsessed. Thank you for sharing! Think I just found our first dance song!!

Jamie June 6, 2012 at 10:18 am

We had Jimmy Wayne’s “You Are” for my wedding and my brother had Brad Paisley’s “Then”

jaime June 6, 2012 at 10:23 am

I just absolutely love that Brad Paisley song… but I’m afraid if I chose it, I’d just cry like a crazy person through the entire dance!

Melissa June 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm

We’ve chosen “This Kind of Love” by Sister Hazel, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXzDxcqUcyY&feature=relmfu

jaime June 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

So pretty – love this, Melissa!

emme gee July 20, 2013 at 1:41 pm

i love this song!! great choice

Monica June 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I have always loved the song Angel eyes by Jeff Healey its more of a dedication to the bride from the groom but it is still as beautiful as ever. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=angel+eyes+jeff+healey&oq=angel+&aq=0p&aqi=p-p2g8&aql=&gs_l=youtube.1.0.35i39l2j0l8.3642.4778.0.6278.6.6.0.0.0.0.115.633.0j6.6.0…0.0.1QNhQwuiLww

Andrea June 7, 2012 at 6:38 am

We are stuck between Tim McGraws “My Best Friend” and “You Save Me” by Kenny Chesney.

jaime June 7, 2012 at 7:15 am

You can’t go wrong with either choice – I love them both, too! Let me know what you decide – I’d love to know!

Sam June 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm

My Best Friend is my number 1 choice!!

Monica June 7, 2012 at 8:28 am

Love Song by 311!

Heather June 18, 2012 at 12:04 am

I agree! I have wanted this song as my first dance forever and Adele does a great version too!

LadyDiDC June 7, 2012 at 10:48 am

My friend’s first dance was to “Me & You” and there wasn’t a dry eye in the place. Such a great song. I’m getting married in April and my fiance and are going with something by Lionel Richie – he’s a favorite of ours. But I love all of the suggestions!

Melissa July 29, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I think that there is a song by Kenny Chesney called Me and You.

Stacy June 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm

LadyDiDc…. who sings the song me and you?

Erin June 8, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I love “Making Memories of Us” by Keith Urban! Thinking of using it for our first dance!

Erin June 8, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Jess June 10, 2012 at 3:50 am

When I was twelve years old, I picked Fisher’s I Will Love You as the song I’d have played at my wedding. I was a really smart kid, apparently.

Till my body is dust
Till my soul is no more
I will love you
Love you
But I need to know
Will you stay for all time
Forever and a day?
And I’ll give my heart
Till the end of our time
Forever and a day

jaime June 10, 2012 at 7:27 am

I love that! What a cute and fun way to bring your past and future together. :)

Emily June 11, 2012 at 9:14 pm

My fiance’s mother passed away and she loved Beth Neilsen Chapman.. since she cant be there for our day, we thought we would honor her with our first dance by playing a song that she loved, and he actually brought to my attention!! All I Have by Beth Neilsen Chapman is perfect for any relationship, I think!

Jackie Hermann June 12, 2012 at 9:57 am

I just discovered the song “Have a little Faith in me” and I LOVE it!! such a pretty song and so far its my fav for a frist dance song.

Nichole June 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I’m getting married this September and our first song will be “this will be our year” by the zombies. The song suits our relationship perfectly.

Sara June 16, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Nothing Fancy by Dave Barnes. I LOVE it! It’s simple but beautiful.

Becca June 17, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I will be using The Script’s “For the First Time”. Every time I hear this song, it makes me think about all of the downs we have been through as a couple and how the ups feel that much better. I love it.

Luci June 18, 2012 at 8:39 am

Attempting to find a first dance song of my own so here’s a couple that I’ve come across …

Matt West: When I say I do
Corey Smith: First dance
Dave Barnes also has a couple good ones:
– On a night like this
– God gave me you
– I have and I always will

Chyler September 9, 2012 at 6:46 am

On a night like this is a beautiful song. I vote that one :)

AJ June 18, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Still not completely decided, but I’m strongly leaning toward Ronan Keating’s “This I Promise You.” I encourage you to listen to it; I think it’s kind of perfect…

Melissa June 19, 2012 at 2:00 am

I’m getting married in September and our first dance song will be a surprise that my husband to be chooses that I won’t know until we’re going to dance…he loved the idea and I love that he gets to really put thought into it and have something special that’s all him for our big day <3

Jessica June 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

i was on here yesterday looking at everybody’s ideas for first dance songs and i saw a few people post When I Say I Do by Matthew West. i’m already a Matthew West fan but had never heard that song so i decided to look it up. i was really enjoying it and then the part came that says “And I have never been so sure of anything before, Like I am in this momment here with you” and it gave me the chills! i got goosebumps all over because just a matter of weeks ago, i told my boyfriend that exact thing. i told him i have never been so sure of anything as i am about wanting to spend the rest of my life with him. i showed him the song that night and he loved it (which is saying a lot because he is a little picky when it comes to music. 😉 )
our 1 year anniversary of when we started dating is coming up in just a few months and we haven’t set an official date but we’re hoping fall of next year. and this will definitely be our first dance song. :)

Holli June 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm

My daughter has chosen “True Love Ways” by Buddy Holly as their first dance song. Very romantic!

Brienne February 19, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Nice pull! Great song.

clare June 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm

hi! i am getting married in the uk next year…we are having…”home” by sarah machlachlan as our first dance….for a bit of difference i am walking down the aisle to “don’t stop me now”-queen!!!

jenni June 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm

my fiance and i have decided that our first dance will be to Christina Perri’s “Penguin”. I have been in love with penguins since the 6th grade and when Christina came out with this song, my fiance showed it to me and i loved it. He is definitely my penguin :]

Jessica June 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I have been in love with “Have a little faith in me” for years! I think it is a perfect first dance song.

Jennifer June 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm

My first dance was to ‘I Will Follow You into the Dark’ by Deathcab for Cutie… So perfect and not overdone!

Aleshia August 20, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I love that idea. Huge Death Cab fan. Beautiful song.

Melissa June 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Aerosmith- I dont wanna miss a thing or Thompsonsquare- Are you going to kiss me or not

Carina June 29, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Lovely Tonight by Joshua Radin!
I need you to know this won’t be broken
And all that we said will not be lost into the dawn
And you would be the last thing I saw coming
I’m still surprised

You are lovely tonight
You, dear, will guide me into the morning light
You are lovely tonight
Lay here beside me – I see the rest of my life with you

Beth July 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Ray LaMontagne: “You are the best thing” will be our first dance I believe….it puts a smile on my face every time I hear it!!!

Ashley July 5, 2012 at 10:02 pm

To show you my love by mike schmid is a great one too!

Megan July 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Love you ‘Till the End by The Pogues. Always loved it and it fits us.

Cassandra July 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

My fiance and I are getting married on August 18 and dancing to “Stay With You” by John Legend. (the live version) Such a beautiful song and suits us well. Perfect wedding song.

Maya Swanson July 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I am getting married in November and my first dance song will be Wedding Day by Alejandro Escovedo. It is such a perfect song to celebrate this day with.

Angela July 13, 2012 at 1:32 am

“All I Ask of You” from PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Ladies, ask your beau… My husband loves that play and the lyrics are beautiful. (We cut out the name Christine…)

Lily July 24, 2012 at 8:57 am

how about a little French Canadian flair?

I think this will be my first dance song <3

Chelsea July 25, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Our first dance song was “I’d Love To Be Your Last” – Gretchen Wilson

Kellie July 30, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Look at Jimmy Wayne’s “You Are” not a real popular song but very appropriate.

Stephanie August 2, 2012 at 9:05 am

I can’t believe nobody mentioned Amazed by Lonestar… song gives me chills everytime I hear it, it’s beautiful. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-skFgrV59A

Liene August 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm

When my husband and I got married our first dance was to “Fields of Gold” by Sting. We didn’t want to pick a song that had been over played at the multitude of weddings we had been to. We wanted something unique and different. Still to this day, I have yet to go to a wedding where the couples’ 1st dance is to that song.

Rita August 11, 2012 at 12:22 pm

We picked Firehouse’s “Love of a lifetime” :)

Sarah August 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm

We’re going to dance to “When You Say Nothing at All” – the Alison Krauss version. It’s beautiful.

Aleshia August 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I love the Reprise of “I’ll Cover You” from Rent.

jess August 23, 2012 at 3:26 am

So I hear sweet pea by amos lee awhile back and instantly fell unloveable I’m thinking it will be my first dance song!

Bre Like the Cheese but Spelled Different August 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I always fancied the idea of playing “At Last” by Etta James. A classic, but very powerful! It still gives me chills!

Kristina January 26, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I am walking down the aisle to this one! My fiance sang it to me during the slow dance at our senior prom.

Leesa August 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm

We are using Perfect For Me by Ron Pope. I was torn between that and You’re The Reason I Come Home. I love him, most of his songs are beautiful choices for wedding songs.

Jenn September 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm

We chose Ain’t Nothin’ ‘Bout You by Brooks and Dunn. Love it!

Nicolle September 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I really liked “Unbelievable” by Craig David. Hands down the most perfect song ever! I want this as my first dance song.

Kait September 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I noticed some mentioned Matt West, but they didn’t mention the song he wrote for his wife for their first dance, ‘Day Before You.’ I’m no where near marriage yet but it’s on my imaginary list of possible songs. My sister had ‘Broken Road’ by Selah ( or rascal flats if you get the country cover) it was beautiful. Oh, and ‘Lost in This Moment’ by Big&Rich is good too. :) and Dave Barnes’ ‘God Gave Me You’

emme gee July 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm

i love this song!! ITS PERFECT FOR OUR SECOND TIME ARD

Jenn September 29, 2012 at 8:40 am

It was 12 years ago, when the wedding song of the year was “truly, madly, deeply”. We chose ” because you loved me” by Celine Dion. Not one she’s commonly known for, but if fit so well because really we saved each other.

Kait October 5, 2012 at 10:19 pm

The song “kiss me” by Ed sheeran is beyond lovely for a first dance song. Will definitely be the one playing at my wedding! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFfKb_WEkCE

Alex October 14, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Musiq Soulchild- Dont Change
but still looking around. Great posts!

Nadina October 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm

‘Falling Slowly,’ from the ‘Once’ soundtrack will be the song I walk down the aisle to. Bob Marley,’Is this Love’ will be our first wedding song I am almost sure of. Falling Slowly will be played live .

Nadina October 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm

2nd Runner, not far behind would def be,’More than Words’, By Extreme
http://WWW.YouTube.com/more than words

Sharise November 2, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I love Sean Hayes “Baby I do” and “Garden”. I also like Ani DiFranco “Albacore”. She doesnt really do the love song type but this song is amazing

Amanda November 12, 2012 at 11:03 am

Our first dance is going to be to Elton John’s “Your Song”. We’ve always considered it to be ‘our song’ and I’m sure he’ll be singing it in my ear as we dance!

Sandee Chisholm November 13, 2012 at 8:18 am

I got married to the most BEAUTIFUL Song ever..it was by White Lion… Till Death Do Us Part… it is beautiful….

Or another good song if you like Genisis was “Follow you Follow Me ”
Just my suggestions

Carol December 16, 2012 at 5:52 pm

A song for her by Richard Elliot

Tara December 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Our first dance was chosen by my husband, and I loved it… it was “You and Me” By Dave Matthews Band

Marsha December 29, 2012 at 12:22 am

My fiance and I are going to be dancing to ‘A Drop in the Ocean’ by Ron Pope.

Brenna84 January 3, 2013 at 1:11 am

I’ve always wanted to integrate Plain White T’s: 1234 into my wedding. First dance??

Jess January 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Lovely options:

Graham Colton “Hold onto my Heart” (sweeter)
(lyrics: So let’s dive into the great unknown, pick up the pieces, let life unfold, ’cause darling you can hold onto my heart)

Marc Broussard “The Beauty of who you are” (sultrier)
(lyrics: Every whisper from your soul to my heart, baby I know it’s true, you’re a sweet little mystery sent to me from the stars, and that’s the beauty of who you are”)

Ashley January 23, 2013 at 5:39 pm

No ones really heard of this one but I think its so cute, its called perfect 2 by Auburn.

Brienne February 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Check out “The Shape of Us” by Ian Britt – it’s a keeper!

Sonya March 23, 2013 at 6:58 pm

We went with ” then you can tell me goodbye” by Frankie Valli. Not a traditional choice but I love that.

Amye June 20, 2013 at 9:38 pm

We are thinking of All I’m Dreaming Of by Black Stone Cherry.. One of the few bands my fiance introduced me to that I actually like! lol

Courtney June 28, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I think the perfect choice would be ” God gave me you” by Blake Shelton, if your a christian

Diane July 21, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I married eons ago but heard this song, The Road that Never Ends by Kaeli’i Reichel
and fell in love with it. I Will be Here is another lovely song by him. Definitely will be suggesting these songs to friends or family getting married.

Suzie July 24, 2013 at 10:29 am

My parents first dance was to the song “leather and lace” by Stevie nicks

Kam September 26, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Our first important song is “You and I” from scorpions… Wondering if is appropriate for our first dance, does anyone know that song? The lyric is so touching! Please let me know what u think!