Wedding Songs for the Recessional Walk

by jaime on January 23, 2013

I love getting creative when I plan for the music at my wedding, and the recessional is no exception. I’ve had a ton of people ask me what songs we’d recommend for this important part of your day, so I selected a few options for you! From romantic classics to fun and upbeat, there’s a little bit for everyone in this post.

Oh, and brides? If you’ve already picked your recessional music, share it with us in the comments. All of our brides-to-be could use the extra help!

1. This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) by Natalie Cole – I chose the shorter version of this song because, really, the long one is over five minutes. Don’t take that long walking back up the aisle.

2. Celebration by Kool and the Gang – A classic!

3. Stolen by Dashboard Confessional – There’s something romantic about walking with your new husband and hearing the words “You have stolen my heart.”

4. Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland – I’m not the biggest Jennifer Nettles fan, but this song? Yeah, it works. (And holy crap, the video is hilarious!)

5. Better Life by Keith Urban – the second of the two country songs, it has a great beat and has that feeling of new beginnings.

6. In Love With a Girl by Gavin Degraw – I love this song. It’s cute, upbeat and romantic – great for a celebratory walk with your new husband.

7. Love and Memories by O.A.R. – You’re playing this one for the beat. It’s fun and upbeat (as long as you don’t listen too closely to the lyrics).

8. Good Life by OneRepublic – This one makes me think of happy summer days.

9. Good Time by Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen – A newer song, but it’s happy and poppy. It’s such a bright and cheery choice.

Share your song ideas in the comments!

Ami January 24, 2013 at 9:06 am

I’m currently debating on having the recessional song be I Don’t Want This Night to End by Luke Bryan. I love the idea of having Good Life by One Republic.

Tara at Type Ten January 24, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Great post, Jaime! Ours was “That’s Amore”. I love weddings with traditional music & ceremony, but then they surprise you at the end with a fun recessional!

jacki January 25, 2013 at 11:32 am

how about little things by one direction?

Danny August 27, 2013 at 5:29 pm

How about no?

Lauren January 26, 2013 at 9:26 pm

We used Dashboard Confessional – Hands Down (acoustic)!
I walked down the aisle to Concerning Hobbits from LOTR. Prelude songs were: Walk With You by Dispatch and I’m Yours by Jason Mraz.
Needless to say we did NOT get married in a church!

Beth September 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I am getting married in a church and not using traditional music
My prelude song is Marry Me by Train
I am walking down the isle to Once Upon a Time…Storybook Love from the Princess Bride
Our Recessional song is Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Michael Buble.
So excited to see how everything turns out

Tanya February 26, 2013 at 11:39 am

Loving Natalie Cole.. my fiance hasn’t done much contribution wise so far (just the way we both like it), but the other night over a bottle of red wine he put on Moment like this by Kelly Clarkson. I was so impressed and although he didn’t know what the word recessional meant I explained it to him and that it would make a great song for it!

wedding songs June 10, 2013 at 12:36 am

I love the fact that your choices are original and not just the same old songs that everyone thinks of when asked.
I am now going to youtube to look some of them up.
Great stuff!

Charity June 10, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I plan on walking down the isle to marry me by train and walking out with my new husband to stolen by dashboard confessionals! ❤

Jennie July 16, 2013 at 1:09 pm

We are having a park wedding, so no power. I asked two family members will be playing a guitear and fiddle. The only song I have that is a definate is “How Bout Them Cowgirls” by George Strait, as the BMs and i head down to the guys (all of us are wearing cowboy boots!
someone suggested Highway to Hell as the recessional… I LAUGHED! so classic!

Danielle July 20, 2013 at 10:18 pm

My friend suprised her husband with the Imperial March as thier recesstional. He loves Star Wars so it was prefect for them=)

Priscilla September 30, 2013 at 5:28 am

My fiance and I split the music choice for the beginning and end of the ceremony. I am planning on having ‘If I Could’ by either Melanie Vallejo or 1927 for my processional music and he is having Hells Bells by AC/DC for our recessional.

Ashley November 13, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Our recessional is “All I Need” by Awolnation!